Windographer Release Notes
Version 4.2.18 (Jul 1, 2020) • Allowed import of Openwind MM3.2 files. • Added 70th percentile of TI to turbulence-by-speed table to help support IEC 4th ed. • Fixed bug where Representative Year window could not accept date range filter.
Version 4.2.17 (Jun 3, 2020) • Improved Extended Summary report to show 18 sensors in Wind Speed Sensor Summary table. • Made MCP algorithm performance test respect the date-range limitation of concurrent data. • Fixed bug causing colorless color legends. • Fixed bug in Hottel clear sky radiation model that introduced a half-hour time shift. • Fixed bug where solar calculations failed to account for the difference between the longitude and the time zone standard meridian.
Version 4.2.16 (Apr 27, 2020) • Improved appearance of tables in PDF reports. • Added legend placement options to graph properties window. • Fixed error causing crash in some circumstances when internet communication fails.
Version 4.2.15 (Feb 28, 2020) • Improved Kintech data file import logic. • Improved Configure Data Set window to rename child columns automatically with parent column.
Version 4.2.14 (Jan 27, 2020) • Added mean of monthly means table to Tables tab. • Fixed a bug stopping the process of generating a representative year.
Version 4.2.13 (Jan 20, 2020) • Added Weibull fit algorithm to Histogram tab legend. • Added Weibull parameters to WindographerMCP speed distribution table.
Version 4.2.12 (Jan 16, 2020) • Improved import logic to recognize GHI, DNI, DHI, and battery voltage data columns. • Added to the Configure Data Set window a button to set time zone from lat/long coordinates. • Fixed bug that prevented the transfer of some flagged segments when appending a .windog file. • Fixed bug causing occasional crashes in MCP logic due to time zone differences.
Version 4.2.11 (Dec 16, 2019) • Added option to export windog file, optionally with metadata removed or timestep changed. • Improved Kintech WND file import logic to handle new-format TXT header files. • Fixed bug causing incorrect calibration after appending in rare circumstances. • Fixed bugs causing problems in MCP module in unusual scenarios.
Version 4.2.10 (Nov 6, 2019) • Improved RLD data import logic to work with the new version 3.8 of SymphoniePRO Desktop. • Fixed v4.2.9 bug causing erroneous mean calculations, especially with pressure columns. • Fixed bug causing incorrect calculations in energy-weighted air density calculated column.
Version 4.2.9 (Oct 31, 2019) • Fixed bug in MCP logic causing zero-measurement-height columns in the extended data set. • Fixed bug where TI-by-sector table incorrectly considered flagged-out direction values. • Changed the handling of cutoff wind speed in the MCP logic o Made cutoff speed apply to both onsite and reference speeds, rather than just reference. o Forced omnidirectional below-cutoff regression through the origin. • Added option to choose columns from which to calculate shear when reconstructing and filling gaps. • Fixed bug causing WindographerMCP speed-vs-direction display to crash.
Version 4.2.8 (Sept 30, 2019) • Added ability to cancel the reconstruction process. • Fixed a bug that occasionally resulted in duplicate flags. • Fixed a bug causing misreading of some favorite flag rules. • Added statistics by sector and year tables to Tables tab.
Version 4.2.7 (Sept 20, 2019) • Fixed data misalignment bug in WindographerMCP when onsite and reference time zones differ. • Fixed small import logic bug causing misidentification of RH SD columns as RH Mean columns. • Improved import logic to interpret Windcube STA files even if they contain a few time steps. • Fixed bug causing occasional crash in WindographerMCP speed-vs-direction display. • Small improvements to reconstruction text report.
Version 4.2.6 (August 1, 2019) • Fixed bug in the handling of multiple different time zones. • Added time zone to the properties shown on the Summary tab. • Fixed bug preventing the import of certain data formats.
Version 4.2.5 (July 29, 2019) • Fixed bug in reconstruction logic causing occasional invalid speed SD values. • Fixed some bugs in the handling of time zones. • Improved import of Ammonit Meteo-40 data files.
Version 4.2.4 (July 5, 2019) • Added Combine Direction Sensors window. • Improved time zone detection when reading Kintech, Meteo-40, Windcube, and ZephIR files. • Fixed bug causing Representative Year window to produce invalid results.
Version 4.2.3 (June 25, 2019) • Fixed bug that prevented date range filter from applying if time steps did not align with midnight.
Version 4.2.2 (June 21, 2019) • Fixed bug causing Turbulence Analysis window to display no results. • Fixed bug in time series graph navigation by arrow keys in Flag Manually window. • Added turbulence-by-hour graph to Onsite Data tab of WindographerMCP. • Updated WindographerFMV so it can read v4.2 files.
Version 4.2.1 (June 5, 2019) • Improved import of Vortex data files. • Changed Reconstruct Data module to avoid applying speed cutoff to MTS algorithm.
Version 4.2 (May 31, 2019) • New option to set the time zone in the Configure Data Set window. • New option to make displacement height vary by direction sector or month. • Improvements to WindographerMCP o New display options on Onsite Data and Long-Term Data tabs. o New ability to select subset of data sets for analysis. o New ability to define any number of long-term adjustments. o New concurrency and filter options. o New ability to detect and correct time offsets between data sets. o New logic to determine minimum number of data points for regressions. o New long-term scaling options including scaling each month separately. o Improved control, reporting, and documentation of reconstruction process. • Improvements to Vertical Extrapolation window o Option to restrict the shear parameter range to mean plus/minus X standard deviations. o Option to rescale to a desired mean value after extrapolation. • New option to use Larsen & Hansen ‘detrending’ process on TI columns. • New Correct Tower Distortion module. • New data column types for solar irradiance and battery voltage. • New option to specify multiple RH data columns at different measurement heights. • New option to import and export turbine properties in WTG and OWTG formats. • Added Shear tab to Tools > Options window, and made shear evaluation method and shear lookup table type an option the user can set in Tools > Options for speed, speedSD, direction, and temperature extrapolation.
Version 4.1.17 (May 1, 2019) • Changed spatial resolution of ERA-5 data to 0.25° in WindogDataDownloader. • Allowed import of WindIris data. • Improved export to Meteodyn WT.
Version 4.1.16 (April 3, 2019) • Changed default Weibull fit algorithm to the Openwind algorithm. • Added mean of distribution to the Openwind export tab for easier comparison to Openwind. • Streamlined import of RWD files. (by minimizing registry reads and writes) • Fixed bug where scale-by-sector logic used flagged-to-exclude direction values when determining sector.
Version 4.1.15 (March 14, 2019) • Improved import of Kintech WND files. • Improved rendering of WindographerMCP on high-resolution monitors.
Version 4.1.14 (December 17, 2018) • Improved import of Ammonit Meteo-40 files and Kintech WND files. • Fixed bug causing Data Downloader to mishandle European number format.
Version 4.1.13 (November 16, 2018) • Improved import of RLD and ZPH files. • New, easier to use Windographer Data Downloader. • Fixed bug in WindographerMCP discontinuity analysis graph that caused x values to appear offset in some cases. • Added ERA5 data to Windographer Data Downloader.
Version 4.1.12 (August 30, 2018) • Improved XML metadata export to comprise boom orientation and child columns. • Added ability to import XML metadata files as templates in Configure Data Set window. • Fixed bug in import logic that caused a crash in rare cases.
Version 4.1.11 (June 20, 2018) • Improved import of ZPH files from ZephIR Lidar. • Improved import of WND files from Kintech Engineering. • Made Improved gap fill process synthesize speed SD in every time step containing valid speed. • Improved color selection window to remember custom colors.
Version 4.1.10 (May 1, 2018) • Fixed bug in calibrating appended Kintech data files.
Version 4.1.9 (April 18, 2018) • More improvements to Kintech data file import. • Added UTM coordinates to Config window.
Version 4.1.8 (April 10, 2018) • Improved import of SpiDAR data files. • Improved import of Kintech WND data files.
Version 4.1.7 (April 6, 2018) • Expanded control of concurrency in WindographerMCP. • Improved Harris1999 Gumbel fit method to make it produce results in a wider range of conditions. • Fixed bug where Tower Distortion Analysis window ignored WD column selection. • Fixed bug where turbulence window failed to initialize correctly. • Fixed bug introduced in v4.1.0 causing incorrect calibration of ‘Other’ child columns during append process.
Version 4.1.6 (March 15, 2018) • Improved import of C99 files. • Improved the appearance of data coverage charts. • Fixed bug causing vertical extrapolation process to crash if all speed SD columns were hidden.
Version 4.1.5 (March 7, 2018) • Allowed zero-width shaded sector in Flag Tower Shading window. • Fixed bug causing occasional crash when reconstructing data sets. (fewer speedSD columns than speed columns) • Fixed bug where WindographerMCP failed to refresh fully after some changes to the list of onsite or reference data sets.
Version 4.1.4 (March 2, 2018) • Added concurrency requirement as an option in Turbulence Analysis window. • Added ability to read from and write to MySQL databases. • Fixed bug causing occasional problems in Configure Data Set window • Fixed bug preventing y-axis from autoscaling in time series graphs.
Version 4.1.3 (February 14, 2018) • Improved WindographerMCP onsite reference periods table to allow concurrency option. • Improved WindographerMCP onsite reference periods to report valid concurrent speed and direction data, rather than just speed. • Added KML export to WindographerMCP Onsite and Reference tabs. • Improved daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual stats tables by highlighting periods with insufficient data coverage. • Fixed bug stopping license activation from Initiate Free Trial window in some cases. • Fixed bug causing crash under certain Unicode settings if the file path contained Unicode characters. • Fixed bug where MCP tables reported incorrect number of time steps for below-cutoff division.
Version 4.1.2 (February 1, 2018) • Updated RLD import logic to work with latest version of SymphoniePRO Desktop. • Fixed bug causing instability in Configure Data Set window. • Fixed bug causing invalid speeds when extrapolating speeds using log law.
Version 4.1.1 (January 22, 2018) • Fixed bug causing WindographerMCP to crash when reading certain files. • Added ‘select all’ checkbox to Wind Shear Analysis window.
Version 4.1 (January 19, 2018) • Added new MCP module capable of handling multiple onsite and reference data sets. (Full capability available to subscription licensees only.)
• Added handling of boom orientation a. Added boom orientation to Calibration window. b. Added combine-by-boom-orientation to Combine Anemometers window. c. Added by-boom-orientation mode to Flag Tower Shading window. d. Added logic to read boom orientation from RLD and NDF files.
• Added displacement height to the Configure Data Set window.
• Improvements to Configure Data Set window: a. Faster processing b. New Copy Data Column(s) button c. New Convert to Static Column(s) button d. New ability to specify measured TI columns e. Now displays version number of the copy of Windographer that wrote the file
• Improved Vertical Extrapolation window: a. New more flexible and more realistic method of extrapolating speed SD data. b. Now allows extrapolation from a specific sensor or the line of best fit c. Now allows user to specify the type of lookup table to be used for backup when in by-time-step mode d. Now shows a preview of synthesized data columns e. Added option to compare extrapolated time series with column in another (or same) data set. f. Improved extrapolation of speed SD data to mimic measured shear patterns much more closely.
• Added save button to Flag Manually window
• Improvements to Document History window: a. Complete reporting of vertical extrapolation, gap filling, and scaling processes b. Added Reviewers tab
• Improvements to Tower Distortion Analysis window a. Window is now modeless, meaning one can leave it open while using other windows b. New option to subdivide by year or month c. Graphs now indicate boom orientation
• Improved Data Recovery Analysis window a. New option to display data coverage chart of valid or invalid data b. New table showing missing data c. New option to report valid time steps rather than data recovery rate
• Added ‘Openwind’ Weibull fit algorithm. • Added the ability to choose a Weibull fit algorithm in Tools > Options.
• Improvements to Combine Anemometers window: a. Now creates combined max column as well as combined SD column b. New option to combine by boom orientation c. New option to use reconstruct-and-average when combining
• Added to Fill Gaps window the option to replace data flagged to exclude. • Improved gap fill process to reconstruct co-located speed sensors first, using regression-by-sector, before doing shear-based reconstruction.
• Improved Wind Shear Analysis window a. Added speed SD shear. b. Added option to calculate from MoMM or simple mean.
• Improved Compare Data Sets window a. Added option to display sensor nearest X metres in height b. Added speed frequency graph c. Added TI-vs-height and TI-vs-speed graphs
• Added Special Adjustments window to perform NRG TI adjustment.
• Improvements to the Tables tab: a. New ‘Data Channel Summary’ table b. New ‘Quarterly Statistics’ table c. New ‘Daily Statistics’ table d. New ‘Calibration History’ table e. New ‘Combined Wind Speed Sensor’ table f. New ‘Statistics by day of year and hour of day’ table g. New ‘Statistics by hour of year’ table h. Added MoMM to Data Columns table i. Added MoMM and energy-weighted density to Environmental Summary table.
• Improvements to calculated column capability: a. New calculated column type for speed SD shear parameter. b. New calculated column type ‘Dew point’ c. New calculated column type ‘Inflow angle’ d. New calculated column type ‘First difference’ e. New calculated column type ‘Density-adjusted wind speed’ f. New calculated column type ‘Energy-weighted air density’ g. New option to auto-create a ratio column for co-located speed sensor pairs h. New option to control whether to use the ISA to synthesize temperature or pressure data for air density calculated column
• Improvements to data import process: a. Added separate control of append overwrite settings for numeric data and flag status b. Improved data column identification (and association) logic c. Improved import of ASOS files, MM files d. Windog file now stores folder from which the user most recently imported data. The File > Append process now takes you to that folder by default when appending again.
• Improvements to Export Data window: a. Made window resizable and maximizable b. Added gust factor to Openwind export format c. Slight improvement to MM file export, to report air density as -999 with the others when necessary. d. Added ability to specify temperature sensor when exporting single-level MM file. e. Added option to use AWST air density assumptions in Openwind export file.
• Improvements to Wind Turbine Output window: a. New option to display results in 8760 and 365×24 tables b. New option to disable air density adjustment
• Improved Representative Year window to encompass multiple data columns. • Added ‘frequency & energy’ display option to the Wind Rose tab. • Improved Apply Scale and Offset window to allow scaling by month, hour of day, or sector. • Added trend and discontinuity testing to Long Term Analysis window.
• Improved MTS algorithm a. Added option to subdivide by year divisions. b. Added option to window bins on joint probability distribution.
• Updated database interface to revision 6 by adding displacement height and boom orientation. • Added option to specify different flags for different reconstruction processes. • Added user preference to use AWST air density assumptions. • Added ability to specify height of RH column.
Version 4.0.28 (October 4, 2017) • Improved import of WindSim and Kintech data files. • Fixed bug causing some wind rose diagrams to display incorrect units. • Fixed bug preventing change of colors on the diurnal profile and histogram graphs. • Fixed bug preventing template from setting temperature and pressure units.
Version 4.0.27 (July 17, 2017) • Improved filter logic to handle direction ranges that span true north.
Version 4.0.26 (June 13, 2017) • Fixed bug in Time Series tab of Export Data window where invisible columns confused the checkbox list of columns. • Fixed small bug where calculation of air pressure at each height of MM2 export file failed to account for height above ground.
Version 4.0.25 (June 8, 2017) • Minor update to database logic to accept varchar(max) parameters even though we explicitly don’t support them in our specifications.
Version 4.0.25 (June 6, 2017) • Fixed display problems on ultra-high-resolution monitors. • Fixed bug in the calibration of SD data columns imported from NSD files. • Solved bug causing Windographer to detect incorrect time step in NSD files in rare circumstances.
Version 4.0.24 (March 10, 2017) • Changed MCP reference time offset options to number of reference time steps, rather than time steps of comparison.
Version 4.0.23 (January 17, 2017) • Fixed bug in Openwind MM1 file export logic that caused problems in time steps missing temperature or standard deviation data. (Bug introduced in v4.0.20) • Fixed bug causing calibration problems when appending RLD files. • Small change to import logic to improve identification of columns in Triton data files.
Version 4.0.22 (January 5, 2017) • Added option to export XML metadata. • Made ‘append folder’ process work through subfolders recursively. • Fixed bug in MTS algorithm that caused it to add excessive variability on occasion. • Fixed bug where Openwind export scaling worked in the preview window, but not in the exported file.
Version 4.0.21 (November 30, 2016) • Improved stability and usability of Windographer Data Downloader. • Fixed bug on MCP import page preventing some changes to inputs. • Fixed bug preventing novaPDF from installing correctly in some cases. • Added automatic color assignment to database import if database does not specify colors.
Version 4.0.20 (November 10, 2016) • Added option to scale time series data exported to Openwind. (Also made all five variables report -999 in time steps in which even one of them is missing.) • Changed the way the user specifies the amount of time to offset MCP reference data.
Version 4.0.19 (September 12, 2016) • Added option to download MERRA-2 data from Windnavigator. • Improved append process by flagging invalid value specified in Configure window. • Fixed bug where Extreme Wind Analysis window always used Weibull k from the first speed sensor, not the selected speed sensor. This affected the EWTS method directly, but also the other methods if you were preconditioning using the Weibull k.
Version 4.0.18 (August 16, 2016) • Added check for valid pressure units in Configure Data Set window. • Solved bug causing possibility of incorrect units after appending data to an empty data set.
Version 4.0.17 (August 10, 2016) • Changed MGM export to make the RH column appear at the height of the lowest temperature or pressure column, and to extract the station number from the site name or file name. • Removed option to download MERRA and MERRA-2 data from NASA.
Version 4.0.16 (June 29, 2016) • Fixed bug preventing data coverage chart from showing gap at the end of the period of record • Improved import of data files with European number formatting • Improved import of WindSim TWS format
Version 4.0.15 (June 7, 2016) • Fixed bugs introduced in v4.0.14 related to graphs remembering their settings. • Fixed bug preventing a direction column’s associated speed column from being set to <none> • Fixed bug causing data coverage chart to display incorrectly when showing data sets with different start times and different lengths.
Version 4.0.14 (May 5, 2016) • Added option to download MERRA-2 data for free from NASA. • Added ability to export to Turkish MGM format. • Small improvements to data import logic. • Small changes to calibration logic.
Version 4.0.13 (March 14, 2016) • Small change to import logic to improve handling of Ammonit data files.
Version 4.0.12 (March 1, 2016) • Added ability to open RLD files from the new SymphoniePRO data logger. • Improved RWD file import process, added option to ignore site files. • Added ability to specify PIN number when opening encrypted RWD files • Improved NSD import process to read calibration constants and serial numbers • Added ability to read instrument serial numbers when importing NDF files. • Added ‘swap axes’ button to Scatter Plot tab.
Version 4.0.11 (December 8, 2015) • Added ability to read instrument serial numbers from NDF files during import. • Added indication of when calibration changes occur during multiple file append process. • Fixed bug causing turbulence rose to appear incorrectly in summary report. • Fixed bug that slowed the multi-file append process. • Fixed bug causing MCP process to overwrite measured direction values even if user requested otherwise.
Version 4.0.10 (November 9, 2015) • Added ability to read Fulcrum 3D SODAR files. • Fixed bug causing occasional crash during MCP performance test. • Changed wind veer calculated column to report positive and negative wind veer rates.
Version 4.0.9 (October 22, 2015) • Fixed bug causing incorrect air density in Openwind MM2 export files if pressure units are not kPa. • Additional improvement to efficiency of MCP performance test process.
Version 4.0.8 (October 19, 2015) • Improved efficiency of MCP performance test process to avoid out-of-memory errors.
Version 4.0.7 (October 7, 2015) • Fixed bug (dating from v4.0.5) in Maximum Likelihood Method Weibull fit algorithm. • Added tabular display option to the rotor-equivalent wind speed window. • Added option to perform two-step file save process. • Small changes to data import process to improve interpretation of ASC and WRF files.
Version 4.0.6 (September 14, 2015) • Fixed bug occasionally causing erroneously high extrapolated wind speed standard deviations. • Added randomness to extrapolated turbulence for more realistic representative TI.
Version 4.0.5 (September 3, 2015) • Added option to include solar radiation data when downloading MERRA data from NASA. • Made all mean direction calculations report vector means. • Switched to Yamartino method for calculating standard deviation of directional data.
Version 4.0.4 (August 12, 2015) • Added a diagram to clarify rotor-equivalent wind speed inputs. • Fixed bug that always set elevation units to metres above sea level when reading pre-v4 windog files, even if the elevation were in feet.
Version 4.0.3 (July 24, 2015) • Fixed bug causing calibration errors during some append processes.
Version 4.0.2 (July 3, 2015) • Restored the ability to save and apply templates. • Fixed bug in vertical extrapolation process causing incorrect results when extrapolating to multiple heights from calculated columns. • Fixed bug preventing favorite flag rules from working with database import. • Tiny fixes to header of Brazilian EPE export format. • Restored Windows XP compatibility.
Version 4.0.1 (June 5, 2015) • Improved RWD file import to handle French-style number formatting of calibration constants • Several small bug fixes and stability improvements
Version 4.0.0 (May 18, 2015) • New Calibration window. • Expanded calculated column capability with many new options. • Ability to import much larger text files. • New ability to hide data columns from graphs and drop-down boxes. • Document History window now displays a complete list of configuration changes. • New Combine Anemometers window for combining co-located anemometers. • Easier sharing of favorite flags and flag rules within a team. • New ability to scale (rather than lengthen) the target data set in MCP module. • MCP performance test now compares different settings as well as different algorithms. • MCP performance test now allows multiple iterations to help determine uncertainty. • Vertical Extrapolation window now includes turbulence, directions, and temperatures. • New ability to export multiple-height data to Openwind in the form of an MM2 file. • Gap fill process now offers option of shear-based reconstruction only. • Gap fill process now generates more realistic turbulence data. • Turbulence Analysis window now shows data for all heights at once. • New Representative Year module for creating ‘typical year’ of data. • New Forecast Error Analysis module. • New concurrency option on Diurnal Pattern tab. • New ability to open ZPH files from ZephIR. • New ability to offset direction values in TAB files.