UL will identify technology options that meet your needs, and will work with you assess the options through a careful consideration of criteria such as:
- IEC classification
- Production potential
- Available technology packages
- O&M support
- Turbine supply warranty terms
Drawing on our experience and on our large database of turbine specifications, we can efficiently compare available technologies and help you select the options that are most appropriate for your project.
A turbine suitability assessment is essential for securing a warranty from the manufacturer and achieving the turbine’s expected productive lifetime. UL offers the following services to support such assessments:
- Turbine Suitability Input Forms: Our staff work closely with manufacturers to understand and satisfy their data needs for completing a suitability or loads analysis.
- Preliminary Suitability Review: We will perform a preliminary suitability analysis, or review the manufacturer’s suitability study, to help you understand any potential suitability concerns. We can also estimate the impact on energy production of any mitigation strategies, such as wind sector management, that may be required by the manufacturer under the turbine supply agreement.
- Suitability Risk Assessment: Our engineers can help you understand and assess the risks to energy production, O&M costs, and turbine life associated with site conditions that may approach the load design margins of a turbine.
Turbine Technical Reviews
When choosing a turbine, it is important to know its track record and that of the manufacturer to be able to assess the technology’s risks. UL’s engineers can provide the information you need and help develop a risk-management plan, if necessary.